Re: [IP] Elevated microalbumin (protein in urine) after 2 years?

Connie,

There *could* be other causes for protein spillage...

Intense, exercise can cause protein spillage.  So can excessively
high Bgs.  If she is exceptionally active - hiking, biking - in a way
that is very strenuous, that can cause it.   So can infections and fevers
as I recall.

I went thru this myself about 7 months ago, and got my first positive
microalbumin test - which scared me.  I've been diabetic for 33 years, and
so far had avoided it.  Well, my blood pressure was quite high (another
potential cause), and after bringing it down with additional ACE inhibitor,
it dropped back within the normal range again - WHEW!  The positive test
was before the pump, and after the pump, it was fine.....

Kevin

> We just received a note back from Jackie's endo that she had "slightly
> elevated" levels of protein (24.7 whatever that means) in her urine at her
> last exam.  We will be doing  a morning sample to be tested again but I want
> to start learning everything I can so I can have an intelligent conversation
> with her endo.  I did an archive search which made me feel less alone in
> this new adventure but I would like to get some input on where to go to
> learn more.  Jackie has only had D 2 years and has been in good control
> (under 10 all along and getting better!)...
>
> Any advice, privately or to the list would be appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Connie Fontaine
> mom/coach for Jackie, 8 1/2yrs, dx 5/98, pumping since 7/29/99

- --
WB0DPN - Pueblo, Colorado
direct email: email @ redacted