Re: [IP] Tingley Fingers

Amen Sam!

I've run into this scam before too! :)

While Apartame is a methyl ester, is doesn't phyiscally contain wood alcohol.
What is an ester?  It is where an alcohol, and an acid unite, forming an
ester.  In this case it is a methyl ester (i.e. made from wood alcohol).

Esters are formed in ACIDIC conditions, which are exactly what are in
our stomachs.  There is an equilibrium between ester and alcohol, that
becomes more slanted towards the ester under acid conditions (or the
phosphoric acid in the coke or pepsi, etc).

Also, while people freak out about wood alcohol, and formaldhyde (one
of wood alcohol's metabolites), such stuff is NATURALLY part of our
biochemistry within our bodies.  Our bodies have the enzyme systems to
handle small amounts of such things (wood alcohol & formaldehyde).  Also,
there are plenty of other NATURALLY occuring methyl esters in our food
chain itself, that everyone consumes daily.  They also behave just as
apartame does - as far as the methyl ester/wood alcohol business goes.

Don't given these TV-science educated whackos the attention they
are striving for!

I do use apartame sweetened things now & then - mostly diet drinks
(maybe 2-3 per week).  But otherwise, I don't use that stuff, and
prefer to use the real thing on oatmeal, etc - especially since I
can with the pump :)

Take care!

Kevin

> At 03:40 PM 5/12/00 Babs Moffett wrote:
>  >Whoops,  I should have read my next email before I sent the one to you.
>  >This is a
>  >continuation on Aspartame
>  >
>  >Babs
>  >PLANETNEWS broadcast...
>  >Aspartame awarness continues...in order to save lives...
>
> These so-called "horror stories" have been floating around for at least 6-7
> years and are totally unsubstantiated by any legitimate scientific studies
> or sources. There are a few people that have made their whole mission in
> life to rid the world of aspartame and Betty Martini is their leading
> proponent. In another group (misc.health.diabetes), Betty recently directly
> blamed the increased use of insulin pumps on aspartame!!!! Obviously, she
> knows nothing about diabetes or its causes.
>
> Since there is no scientific evidence for these any of these claims, all
> that is left is just what we choose to believe. Obviously there is no
> arguing over belief systems. Consequently, there have been more bitter
> flame wars over this topic than virtually anything else since the
> Protestant Reformation. I've seen this degenerate too many times into
> hateful, ugly name-calling that goes on for weeks and solves absolutely
> nothing. Please let's NOT start it here.
>
> Sam

- --
WB0DPN
direct email: email @ redacted