[IP] Tingley Fingers

Whoops,  I should have read my next email before I sent the one to you.  This is a
continuation on Aspartame

PLANETNEWS broadcast...
Aspartame awarness continues...in order to save lives...
Dear Healthgate,

I have just read your web page in horror!!!!  Aspartame is a neurotoxin and teratogen.
It triggers birth defects if the baby survives at all.  Fetal tissue does not tolerate
wood alcohol which aspartame contains.  You do know if the baby is PKU and cannot
metabolize phenylalanine if the baby survives at all it can be mentally retarded.
However, you don't know if the baby is PKU until the test is done at birth.  Secondly,
according to H.  J. Roberts, M.D., who has declared Aspartame Disease to be a world
epidemic, in his book Aspartame: NutraSweet Is It Safe? he says: "PKU occurs in the
offspring of two seemingly normal parents both of whom carry this single gene defect.
Geneticists refer to it as an "autosomal recessive" trait.  These carriers (or
heterozygoes) show higher and more prolonged blood concentrations of phenylalanine when
given a standard load of this amino acid.  At least one out of 50 persons carries the
PKU gene.  Accordingly, an estimated four million persons are carriers!  The vast
majority, however, have no reason to suspect this until the birth of a PKU child.
Patients with PKU and PKU carriers are likely to be at higher risk from consuming
aspartame-containing products because of the considerable amount of phenylalanine.  For
example, one liter of most aspartame-sweetened soft drinks contains about 275 mg.
phenylalanine.  This explains the mandated warnings on label - generally in fine print -
such as "Phenylpyruvics:  Contains Phenylalanine".
Please access www.dorway.com and print out these documents:
1.      Dr. Louis Elsas' testimony before Congress and many letters.  He is a Pediatric
Professor at Emory University, Genetics.  He likes people to read the whole documents
rather than quote lines.  I would suggest you add them to your web site.  I have one of
his papers I don't think is on web so I'll type it in for you.  However, if you would
like a copy of it on Emory University School of Medicine stationery and his signature
simply give me your fax number.
2.      Dr. Roberts position paper on aspartame and pregnancy and small children.
Remember that even a man consuming aspartame at the time of conception can cause birth
defects in his own child.  This is mentioned in this  paper.
3.      Warning Flyer titled "They're Poisoning Our Kids".
4.      IFIC brochure rebutted by Mark Gold.  This is the misinformation distributed by
the FDA on aspartame.  It's Monsanto propaganda.  Notice a copy of this is going to the
FDA who have been told repeatedly about sending this out.  There is a criminal code,
Title 18, Section 1001 that makes it against the law to mislead the public by
distributing misinformation and lies.  They knowingly do this as if exempt from
operating under the law.  Their own senior FDA toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross, who tried
to stop the approval this deadly neurotoxin told Congress that aspartame violated the
Delaney Amendment because it triggered brain tumors and "if the FDA violates the law who
is left to protect the public."  Aspartame was only approved because the FDA violated
the law.

Here is Dr. Louis J. Elsas, II, letter dated November 3, l987.  It is
Statement for the Labor and Human Resources Committee, U.S. Senate
I have considerable concern for the increased dissemination and consumption of the
sweetener, aspartame (l-methyl N-L-aspartyl- L-phenylalanine) in our world food supply.
This artificial dipeptide is hydrolyzed by the intestinal tract to produce
L-phenylalanine which in excess is a known neurotoxin.  Normal humans do not meteabolize
phenylalanine as efficiently as do lower species such as rodents and thus most of the
previous studies in aspartame effects on rats are irrelevant to the question, -- "does
phenylalanine excess occur with Aspartame ingestion?" and if so "will it adversely
affect human brain function?"
Preliminary studies in my laboratory provide tentative positive answers to both
questions.  Many studies of both acute and chronic ingestion of 34 mg.  Aspartame/kg/day
have demonstrated a two to five fold increase in semi-fasting blood phenylalanine
concentrations (from approximately 50 to 250 uM) without concomitant increases in
tyrosine or other amino acids.  The degree of increase by normal humans depends on
several variables including the efficiency of gut transport, liver utilization, and
growth rates.  It was thought by many scientists and clinicians that this degree of
blood phenylalanine increase would not affect brain function.  However, currently
available information indicates that this is not true.
1)      In the developing fetus such a rise in maternal blood phenylalanine could be
magnified four to six fold by the concentrative efforts of the placenta and fetal blood
brain barrier.  Thus a maternal phenylalanine of 150 uM could reach 900 uM in the
developing fetal brain cell and concentration kills such cells in tissue culture.  The
effect of such an increased fetal brain concentrations in vivo would probably be much
more subtle and expressed as mental retardation, microcephaly, or potential certain
birth defects.
2)      In the rapidly growing post-natal brain (children of 0-12 months) irreversible
brain damage could occur by the same mechanism.
3)      In the adult we have found that changes in blood phenylalanine in these
concentration ranges are associated with slowing of the electroencephalogram, and
prolongation of cognitive function tests.
Fortunately, these effects on the mature brain are reversible but
provide clear evidence for a negative
effect on sensitive parameters of brain function.
In view of these new (and confirmation of old) research findings I suggest the
1)      Immediate labeling of all aspartame-containing foods, so the consumer will know
how much phenylalanine he/she is ingesting.
2)      Declare an immediate moratorium on addition of aspartame to more foods and
remove it from all low-protein beverages, foods, and children's medications.
3)      Provide funds not controlled by industry to:

a)      Allow active surveillance for potential side-effects of aspartame on newborns
whose mothers dieted with NutraSweet (Aspartame) - containing foods.
b)      Allow active evaluation of other users whose complaints cannot be adequately
studied at present.
c)      Clarify the dose relationship and mechanisms by which
L-phenylalanine affects human brain
Respectfully submitted
Louis J. Elsas, II, M.D.
Director, Division of Medical Genetics
Professor of Pediatrics
Enclose:  3 reprints
Curriculum vitae
I would suggest that this be added to your web site along with Dr. Roberts
position paper and any other of Dr. Elsas documents you deem useful on the
www.dorway.com web site.
They should have listened to Dr. Elsas courageous testimony which I have on tape.  On
DORway there is a list of pediatric medications that contain aspartame.  Pedialyte is
advertised all over TV that has aspartame and Augmentin is given by prescription that
contains the toxin.  We are constantly getting horror stories, especially since
aspartame is a seizure triggering drug.  As one mother said in Walmart: "I know two
women who gave Pedialyte to their babies - both had seizures and died".
Aspartame Disease may go down in history as one of the largest epidemics in world
history.  While the FDA tells people aspartame is safe, I would suggest that you read
their own audit, the Bressler Report on www.dorway.com  which contradicts them and
exposes their lies.  Read also the damning CDC investigation and even the protest of the
National Soft Drink Association.  Notice even they mentioned that under Section 402 of
the FDC that it is illegal to put aspartame in carbonated beverages because it
decomposes and adulterates the food making it unfit.  Yet, they did it anyway.  They
even mention that aspartame decomposes in moderate temperature.  Yet they turned around
and lobbied for NutraSweet and put this toxin in pop.  Aspartame breaks down into a
witches brew of toxins including diketopiperazine a brain tumor agent.  The Trocho study
shows that the formaldehyde accumulates in the cells and damages DNA.  This is
Do-It-Yourself Embalming!
Suggested Reading:  Books and tapes by H. J. Roberts ( 1 800 -
814-9800)  or www.sunsentpress.com
Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills
by neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D. ( 1 505- 474-0303 or amazon.com  (explains
what aspartame and MSG do to the brains of babies and children)
Please advise you have removed this dangerous misinformation from your web site.
Betty Martini, Mission Possible International   770 242-2599