> Hi, I'm going White Water Rafting for the
> first time on Thursday. I'm concerned about
> lowering my basals as well as where to put
> my pump. I don't generally do a lot of
> strenuous exercise on a regular basis, but
> I fear that if I lower my basals I'll end
> up high and miserable the whole trip. Any
> advice?
As an avid rafter the first thing I want to point out
is... YOU WILL GET WET (if you manage to stay dry you
probably didn't enjoy it).

Second, going on the assumption that you won't be
removing your pump (and this depends on duration of the
trip, waterproofness of your model, and such), the most
bodily safe place would be somewhere near your lower
abdomen or the small of your back.  When tumbling its
these areas that most people instinctively protect the
greatest so you'll be less likely to slam into a rock.

Third, for the tubing, I'd make sure you use a short
length and either wear it ALL under a suit (one spot
where girls have it better than guys) or tape what
little is not covered by a suit very securely to your

And on a fourth note, when (not if) you fall in the
water, point your feet downstream just slightly bent so
that you can absorb rock impacts with your legs and
keep your arms outstretched towards each shore until
you reach calm enough water to swim to the shore and by
all means wear a life jacket and a helmet if this is
your first time.

Now, if you ever see my go down south fork american
river you'll think I'm a hypocrite 'cause I don't use
any life jacket/helmet or even a raft for that matter
on any of the rapids, but I've been surfing that river
since I was old enough to paddle and I know the
currents like the back of my hand.

As to basals, yeah I'd probably lower 'em a bit though
how much depends on your body, whether you'll be doing
much paddling (this depends on the severity of the
rapids, space between rapids, and eagerness of your
crew), and how sensitive your glucose response is to
heat (that reflection off the water'll bake you).

Since this'll be your first time I'm sure your river
guide will take you through something tame... class I,
maybe II at the worst.

HAVE FUN! (and don't drown)

- -Sara G.