Disetronic batteries, was: Re: [IP] Speaking of Batteries

My experience with the Disetronic batteries during the past 3+ years is my
02 battery usually significantly outlasts my 03 battery.

The 02 battery is for the motor. If you prime your pump a lot (changing
tubing frequently, for example), or use a lot of insulin (relative
statement here), the 02 battery will deplete more rapidly than if you don't
exercise the motor much.

The 03 battery controls the pump electronics - both processors, all the
widgets and gizmos that make up the pump's brains. If the pump is doing
extra work, like calculating a lot of temporary basal rates, recalling
history information, etc., the 03 battery gets used quicker.

My 03 battery will generally last about 6 - 8 weeks. I use temporary basal
rates a *lot*. I know others like yourself, who get a slightly longer life
from the 03 battery. Sounds like your experience is pretty good.

I've not heard of anyone whose 02 battery lasted 5 months, so
congratulations :-)

BTW, when I've had my 03 battery signal and I'm away from home without a
spare, I've switched the 02 battery in till I got home, putting the 03
battery in the 02 compartment. Knowing that the 02 battery
usually  "outlives" my 03, I use this to my advantage. Note that when you
take both batteries out like this to switch them, you'll lose the
information re: insulin remaining in the cartridge, and need to re set the
clock. Fortunately, the programmed basal rates stay intact with no
batteries in the pump, so you don't have to reprogram it :-)

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted