[IP] Article on ACE Inhibitors

Greetings all:
    Sorting through bookmarked articles today & came across this one. There
were numerous inquiries about these medications & their applications after I
posted about my daughter's latest test results.... thought I'd pass this
information on as to why or how these drugs can ameliorate diabetic
predispositions to encounter microvascular complications.
Regards, Renee (pump-mom)
Diabetes Mellitus
ACE inhibitors have a beneficial effect on insulin resistance and glucose
levels. Since high insulin levels are proatherogenic it is possible that ACE
inhibitors help neutralize the high risk of atherosclerosis in diabetics.
Unlike some other antihypertensives ACE inhibitors do not adversely effect
lipid profiles. This antihypertensive drug family has been shown to reduce
triglycerides which may be particularly beneficial in diabetics who have a
high incidence of combined hyperlipidemia. Independent of the hemodynamic
effects, ACE inhibitors have been shown to prevent proteinuria and renal
failure. Since diabetes is now responsible for the majority of renal failure
in this country, any treatment that limits this is clinically important. ACE
inhibitors have been shown to be superior to other antihypertensive families
in reducing proteinuria and diabetic nephropathy. Diabetics have selective
constriction of the glomerular efferent arteriole leading to an increase in
intraglomerular pressure which in turn causes proteinuria and diabetic
nephropathy. ACE inhibitors have the unique ability to relax the glomerular
efferent arteriole. In a landmark study (Lewis et al.) it was shown that in
IDDM patients with renal failure captopril reduced the subsequent increase in
creatinine, dialysis, transplantation and death by 50%. The combination of
the beneficial metabolic profile and renal protection makes ACE inhibitors
the first choice in treating hypertension in a diabetic patient.