[IP] radfting

Caroline wrote:
>  Hi, I'm going White Water Rafting for the first time on Thursday.
> Any advice?

me and my pump went rafting on the Lehigh River in PA all day about a year
and a half ago.  I wrapped it in a baggie and then a plastic bag, then tucked
it in my shorts and left it there.  I kept my meter and dex tabs in the
cooler...where they were completley inaccessible.  I tested several times in
the morning before I got in the boat to make sure I was holding steady, and
again when we stopped for lunch, bolused very conservatively for lunch and
tested before i got back in after lunch.
I told my boat members the situation - told them where they dex tabs were,
and they were cool, then the group leader made the announcement that anyone
with a medical problem to be sure and advise them...My boat gorup all turned
to look at me like the expected me to raise my hand in front of all 100
people...I just looked at my feet. I did tell him as I was getting the boat -
but didn't want to make any kind of public announcement, ya know?

Didn't get to test much throughout the day...but when I did was in the
150-175 range, which was fine - didn't want to go low out there! 1 hour of
light paddling as advertised, was actually 5 1/2 hours of heavy rowing,
thanks to low water flow   I was a little high at the end, but I had been
JETTISONED somewhat traumatically from the boat after lunch - thought my life
was gonna end - hit a rock that left a dent on my body - good thing i didnt
land on the pump..  It stayed dry in its 10 cent baggie...while I had to sit
in wet clothes the rest of the day. Funny thing was, I was almost more
concerned about my little buddy getting wet or torn from my body than I was
about the possibilty of being crushed against the boulders that were swirling
past my body at what seemed like 150 mph... And to top everything else off,
my eye bled the night before.

Just wrap it in a baggie, duct tape it shut so you can see the screen still -
then you can bolus etc with out taking it out...the MNMD is water resistant,
so if it gets damp dont freak - just dry it off real good.

Where ya going?  I have a friend who works at Pocono White Water in PA...He
says many of the trip leaders are also EMTs...he told me he carried a hersey
bar in his emergency kit...I told him to get some cake frosting or