Re: [IP] Basal Rates

In a message dated 05/06/2000 9:42:32 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< When setting the
 basal rates, what do you go by?  Is any part of that meant to cover any
 eaten?   >>

No, the basal rates are just that, basal, or in other words, you should be
able to fast without eating and carbs and just stay at a single bg without
going up or down much.   I have been having to lower my basals lately, more
exercising or who knows what the reason.  But in the last few weeks have had
multiple unexpected reactions a few hours after eating, so had to treat and
gained about 4 lbs.  Lowered my basals, by just going from .8 to .7 (except
for dawn phen which is more).  This seems to have done the trick and the
extra 4 lbs have come right back off .  Its really amazing what a difference
a small change can make.

There is info on basal testing on this web site, or your pumping insulin
book, but it sure will be nice when then address it towards Humalog.

Best of luck,