Re: [IP] Type 2 question

Nita H. wrote:
> On Friday I went to Jessica's school to have lunch with her (got off work
> early for once).  I spoke to the lady I had diagnosed at the health fair
> with diabetes.  She went to her Dr. and was officially diagnosed with Type 2
> by him, was sent home with Diabeta(?) and a meter with intructions to test
> twice a day.  She doesn't see a CDE until May 23 and was told she can't see
> the dietician till after that.  She said she had woken up with her lowest
> sugar that morning at 287!  Is this normal course of events?  Should she be
> pushing for a quicker appointment and the chance to see the dietician to
> help her work out a meal plan that best suits her.  She is struggling along
> in the dark, and asking me questions about foods she likes and all.  Should
> she be testing more at least until her sugars are under some sort of
> control?  I am so frustrated with her Dr. I could scream!  I want her to
> feel better now that she has started medicine, not worse.  Sigh.  Any input
> will be appreciated.

Sorry to say, that's TYPICAL of the way Type 2's are treated. The
general attitude of many (but thank God not all!) health professionals
is that Type 2 is no big deal -- since it's not a life-threatening
emergency, we can afford to putter around with it. And if we get less
than good results, well, it's only an old person -- their bodies are
decaying anyway!

And that, in a nutshell, is why I prefer to be listed as Type 1, rather
than Type 2. I get more conscientious care that way!

The cutting edge of the medical profession is struggling to convince the
straggling edge that Type 2 is indeed a serious disease, and need to be
taken as seriously as Type 1, but there's still a long way to go.

Meanwhile, the best thing you could do to  help is teach her how to carb
count -- not with regard to insulin, but with regard to regulating carbs
at each meal -- so many people think that sugar is a no-no but a big
baked potato is fine!

If she can strictly limit her carbs, especially refined carbs, and get
some exercise, chances are she can start controlling her diabetes by
herself, without waiting for dietitian or CDE. Many people have had a
lot of success with Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's low-carb approach -- I'm
not particularly recommending it, one way or the other, but his book,
Diabetes Solutions is available on the web.

Another thing she can do, if she's on the Internet is start reading the
list email @ redacted -- there are a lot of Type 2's there, and
people willing to answer the most basic questions. Subscription is
email @ redacted

I'm sending this publicly because I don't think you're the only one who
is trying to help a Type 2 -- and I want to commend you and give you a
cyberhug for caring about this lady!!!!!

- --
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted