[IP] insulin rule

oroginal post

You mentioned both Humalog and unused insulin rule in one of your
posts.  Do  you have the unused insulin rule for Humalog?  I have been
trying to locate  it without success.  I would appreciate any help.>

Hi Nancy,

I calculated this from the humalog chart given in the package, so it's
not completely accurate, but seems to work well for me.

time        total % used
1/2 hr    4%
1 hr        24%
1 1/2     45%
2 hrs       64%
2 1/2     77%
3 hrs     85%
3 1/2     91%
4 hrs     95%
5 hrs     close to 100%

So after 2 hours, there is still over a third of the insulin left to
work! Michael had a simplification that went something like this: 20%
first hour, 20% per half hour after that through 2 1/2 hours, then
another 20% from 2 1/2 to 4 hours (sorry Michael, if I didn't get it
quite right). Also instructive is that those who think humalog works in
the first half hour--well it does, but only 4% of it!  Again, this is
from a graph, so it's not exact.

Hope it helps.