[IP] 24 hr. urine test

I have a question regarding the 24 hr. urine testing.  My sister and I are
both diabetic.  My sister's doctor told her that she only needed to do a
"regular" urine test to test for protein in the urine. If that showed protein
then they would a 24 hr. urine test.  My last endocrinologist had me do a 24
hr urine every year.  Who is right?  Does a "regular" urine test show enough
to let you know if you need further testing (24 hr.)?