From: Joni Spurlin [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 12:43 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] dead batteries w/o warning

My MM508 gave me a low battery warning - just after giving a bolus...but
after that there was just the small icon of a battery (+/-) I think. NO
WORDS ... I was sort of expecting a notice - so I had been watching for
it...

My CDE said that the more you use the pump the less time the battery lasts,
esp if use the remote (or even if you have "connected" it and don't use it)
Mine has lasted exactly one month.  (I use 150 U per day)

joni

>>> Jen Woodall <email @ redacted> 05/07/00 09:00PM >>>
I had a scary experience this weekend, while I was out of town at my mom's.
I woke up
Saturday a.m. with a NO POWER message on my MM508.  I had gotten no low
battery
warning, and my bg was up to 263.  I had 2 spare sets of batteries with me,
tried them
both, to no avail.  My husband went out for fresh batteries, and they
worked.
Apparently all my spares were dead!

My concern is that I did not get the LOW BATTERY warning.  I know several
others have
had this experience and that it was discussed on the list soon after the 508
was
released.  I'd like some feedback from those who have had this experience.
Did it
ever recur?  Did MM give you any indication as to why the LOW BATTERY
warning did not
function?  I called MM on Saturday, before we knew it was actually a battery
problem,
and they said they could replace my pump or send me a loaner.  Since this
seems to be
an isolated event, my inclination is to see if it happens again.  If so, I
will
definitely get them to check out my pump!!  But I would appreciate
advice/information
from those who have had this occur.

Thanks.

Jen