Re: [IP] Fasting Blood Sugars

Holly Nelson wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what a "normal" fasting blood sugar is for a 2 year old?
> Alex (2) has soaked the bed the last 2 nights, so I checked his blood sugar
> and it was 59 & 60.  This startled me as I didn't know if a 2 yr. old should
> be this low.  His older brother is diabetic so I am always worried about my
> other 2 kids.

Hmmm, are you saying that Alex is NOT diabetic??

If he's not diabetic, then I don't think it's anything to worry about. I
remember that my non-diabetic son also soaked the sheets when he slept
- -- his hair was matted and sopping. (Still non-diabetic at age 26)

The reason we worry about BGs in the 60's with diabetic children is that
their bodies cannot regulate BGs very well -- they can't turn off the
insulin that has been injected, and sometimes the glucagon-secreting
cells don't work too well, either, and so the 60 could be a sign that
it's dropping even lower and is about to become a serious emergency.

In a non-diabetic child, on the other hand, the counter-regulatory
mechanisms are normal, and the body is controlling the amount of insulin
and glucagon on hand, so unless there's another problem like an
insulinoma (a tumor which secretes insulin), or some other kind of
metabolic defect, you won't see extreme low BGs.

I think it's a good idea to test Alex and Amanda periodically (say, once
every 6 months) after a meal -- if they're developing diabetes, you'll
see high BGs, not low ones.

And while you're at it, you might consider enrolling them in the DPPT
trials -- they do antibody testing, and that way you'll KNOW if they're
at risk or not.

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted