[IP] tape problems

- --------------365F79E56E1C5E19306D0D5C

Hello, Linda,
I have been pumping for about 8 months now and have had loads of
problems with the tape not sticking.  If you look through the archives
I'm sure you'll come across the thread about duct tape which I resorted
to but don't recommend.  The final solution came from one of the pumpers
who responded to my request.

You can get something called cavilon cream.  Its a durable barrier cream
designed for some other purpose but it seems to work really well for the
purpose of keeping the sites in even when sweating alot.  I'm attaching
the response I recieved from Brad that I found really helpful..  The
cream really helps with sticking.

 I recently switched to silouettes and am finding that the tapes stick
much better than the ones that come with the sofsets.  Hope this helps
you and your son.  I really hate it when a site comes out and you have
to go to the trouble and expense of replacing it!  Good luck.  Marilyn
Brad's response is as follows:
<Hi Marilyn,

I have been using Cavilon since I got the pump
(10/99). I work out at least 4X/week (jog and weights
in gym), and have never had a problem with sweat
making the tape becoming unglued. Here's the process I
go through each time I change a set:

1. After shower and towel dry, apply a dab of cream on
area where infusion set will be placed. Wait a few
minutes for cream to dry.

2. Swab infusion area with "IV Prep" swabs. Let dry.

3. Insert set, and apply tape (NOTE: I use the
"cross-hatch" tape, which may be problematic for
people with sensitive skin).

Since I haven't had the pump long enough, it may turn
out that living in humid climates may exacerbate the
problem of the tape (in the Northeast, it can get
pretty humid during the summer). So far, however, I
haven't had any problems with the tape.

I hope this helps out. Please write if you have any
other questions.

Best regards,

Brad MacDonald
email @ redacted

- --- Marilyn Wolovick <email @ redacted>
wrote:
> Hello Brad,
> I came across your recommendation re:  Cavilon Cream
> on the pumper's
> site.  I phoned the company and they assured me it
> was only a barrier
> and keeps the skin moist but that it wouldn't
> prevent the tape from
> coming unstuck due to perspiration.  I do an intense
> martial art form
> and am having alot of problems with my tapes not
> staying on.  I'm
> spending alot of $ on replacing the cannula ends
> every time this
> happens.  Could you pls write to me about your
> experience with this
> cream?  Will it work with a lot of sweating?  I will
> appreciate your
> advice.  Thx so much.  email @ redacted
>
> <I use Cavilon cream (from 3M) and I literally have
> pry the tape off when I change a set.
>
> The product number is 3392 Durable Barrier Cream.
>
> If you wish to order direct from a distributor you
> may
> call Edge Park Surgical
> 800-321-0591 and they will take a credit card order
> for the product.
>
> Although 3M says that it is not available at any
> retail store, I have read other posts where pumpers
> have asked their pharmacist to order for them.
>
> Hope this helps out.>

- --------------365F79E56E1C5E19306D0D5C

<HTML>
Hello, Linda,
<BR>I have been pumping for about 8 months now and have had loads of problems
with the tape not sticking.&nbsp; If you look through the archives I'm
sure you'll come across the thread about duct tape which I resorted to
but don't recommend.&nbsp; The final solution came from one of the pumpers
who responded to my request.

<P>You can get something called cavilon cream.&nbsp; Its a durable barrier
cream designed for some other purpose but it seems to work really well
for the purpose of keeping the sites in even when sweating alot.&nbsp;
I'm attaching the response I recieved from Brad that I found really helpful..&nbsp;
The cream really helps with sticking.

<P>&nbsp;I recently switched to silouettes and am finding that the tapes
stick much better than the ones that come with the sofsets.&nbsp; Hope
this helps you and your son.&nbsp; I really hate it when a site comes out
and you have to go to the trouble and expense of replacing it!&nbsp; Good
luck.&nbsp; Marilyn
<BR>Brad's response is as follows:
<BR>&lt;Hi Marilyn,

<P>I have been using Cavilon since I got the pump
<BR>(10/99). I work out at least 4X/week (jog and weights
<BR>in gym), and have never had a problem with sweat
<BR>making the tape becoming unglued. Here's the process I
<BR>go through each time I change a set:

<P>1. After shower and towel dry, apply a dab of cream on
<BR>area where infusion set will be placed. Wait a few
<BR>minutes for cream to dry.

<P>2. Swab infusion area with "IV Prep" swabs. Let dry.

<P>3. Insert set, and apply tape (NOTE: I use the
<BR>"cross-hatch" tape, which may be problematic for
<BR>people with sensitive skin).

<P>Since I haven't had the pump long enough, it may turn
<BR>out that living in humid climates may exacerbate the
<BR>problem of the tape (in the Northeast, it can get
<BR>pretty humid during the summer). So far, however, I
<BR>haven't had any problems with the tape.

<P>I hope this helps out. Please write if you have any
<BR>other questions.

<P>Best regards,

<P>Brad MacDonald
<BR>email @ redacted

<P>--- Marilyn Wolovick &lt;email @ redacted>
<BR>wrote:
<BR>> Hello Brad,
<BR>> I came across your recommendation re:&nbsp; Cavilon Cream
<BR>> on the pumper's
<BR>> site.&nbsp; I phoned the company and they assured me it
<BR>> was only a barrier
<BR>> and keeps the skin moist but that it wouldn't
<BR>> prevent the tape from
<BR>> coming unstuck due to perspiration.&nbsp; I do an intense
<BR>> martial art form
<BR>> and am having alot of problems with my tapes not
<BR>> staying on.&nbsp; I'm
<BR>> spending alot of $ on replacing the cannula ends
<BR>> every time this
<BR>> happens.&nbsp; Could you pls write to me about your
<BR>> experience with this
<BR>> cream?&nbsp; Will it work with a lot of sweating?&nbsp; I will
<BR>> appreciate your
<BR>> advice.&nbsp; Thx so much.&nbsp; email @ redacted
<BR>>
<BR>> &lt;I use Cavilon cream (from 3M) and I literally have
<BR>> to
<BR>> pry the tape off when I change a set.
<BR>>
<BR>> <B>The product number is 3392 Durable Barrier Cream.</B>
<BR>>
<BR>> If you wish to order direct from a distributor you
<BR>> may
<BR>> call Edge Park Surgical
<BR>> 800-321-0591 and they will take a credit card order
<BR>> for the product.
<BR>>
<BR>> Although 3M says that it is not available at any
<BR>> retail store, I have read other posts where pumpers
<BR>> have asked their pharmacist to order for them.
<BR>>
<BR>> Hope this helps out.>
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;