Re: [IP] leg cramps

on 5/5/00 7:05 PM, Suzie Varney at email @ redacted wrote:

> Hi Group,
> I have a question regarding leg cramps.  Does anyone else suffer from
> calf cramps when walking?  I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 10.  At
> 12 I began running track, but by the age of 13 or 14 I developed severe
> leg cramping (in the calf) when walking fast or running.  I am 37 now
> and have suffered since then.  My endo does not think that it is related
> to my diabetes, but I disagree.  He believes that since I have great
> arterial pulses in my feet that it could not be intermitten
> claudication.  But, I have tried every route I can think of and then
> some to try to alleviate the pain and nothing works.  I have had
> orthotics made.  I have tried calcium, magnesium and quinine.  And,
> still, when I walk faster than about 3 mph, I cramp.  Does anyone else
> have experience with this and if so, does anything work?  I thought I
> read something about Health bars or something on this list, but cannot
> find it any longer.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Suzie

HI SUZIE,
I thought I was the only one who experienced leg cramps when walking.I have
been a diabetic for 25 years,and have been taking potassium for 23 years.IT
helps,but not very good.at first my doctor said I needed to get in better
shape to fix the problem.IT is so,I run or walk fast and get a severe cramp
in the calf,but I can ride my bike all day and not get a cramp in my legs.
I do believe it is related to diabetes.
ERIC AUTIO