[IP] The Special Mother

I was first given this when my son was diagnosised as having autisim.
And since it  is getting close to Mother's Day I thought I would send
this to the list for all the mothers of diabetic children.  As someone
had mentioned before in a post that they could not bear to have a child
with diabetes, I think to myself also and say that I could not do it
either knowing what I have to do to just take care of me.  But end the
end we all "do" for our children what needs to be done and never give it
another thought because  we love them so.  Happy Mother's Day to all of
the mothers on the list and especially the ones that are the angels for
their diabetic children.
By the way I have a copy that I keep on my refridgerator that I read when
I'm having an especially trying day with my son.  It definitly helps

PS. for those of you that don't believe in a higher power, be it God, or
whatever you chose to call it, you can delete this now and save yourself
the trouble of reading it.  But it may just touch your heart.

Most Women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social
pressures, and a couple by habit.  This year nearly 100,000 women will
become mothers of handicapped children.  Did you ever wonder how mothers
of handicapped children are chosen?

Somehow, I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting His instruments
for propagation with great care and deliberation.  As he observes, He
instructs His angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

	"Armstrong, Beth, son.  Patron saint, Matthew"
	"Forest, Marjorie, daughter. Patron saint, Cecilia."
	"Rutledge, Carrie, twins.  Patron saint.....give her Gerard.  He's used
to profanity"

	Finally, He passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a
handicapped child."
	The angel is curious.  "Why this one, God? She's so happy."
	"Exactly," smiles God.  "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who
does not know laughter? That would be cruel."
	"But does she have patience?" asks the angel.
	"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea
of self-pity and despair.  Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll
handle it.
	"I watched her today.  She had that sense of self and independence that
are so rare and so necessary in a mother.  You see, the child I'm going
to give her has his own world.   She has to make it live in her world and
that's not going to be easy. "
	"But Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
	God smiles.  "no matter, I can fix that.  This one is perfect.  She has
just enough selfishness.."
	The angel gasps.  "Selfishness?  Is that a virtue?"
	God nods.  "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally,
she'll never survive.  Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a
child less than perfect.  She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be
	"She will never take for granted a spoken word.  She will never consider
a step ordinary.  When her child says 'Momma' for the first time, she
will be witness to a  miracle and know it.  When she describes a tree at
a sunset to her blind child, she will see is as few people ever see my
	"I will permit her to see clearly the things I see-ignorance, cruelty,
prejudice- and allow her to rise above them.  She will never be alone.
I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she
is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."

"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in
		God smiles.  "A mirror will suffice."

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!