[IP] IEPs and 504s

Both my wife and I are Special Ed teachers. An IEP would be appropriate if
the medical condition had an effect on academic performance- such as
drowsiness from medication, absence, ability to concentrate.

By all means use margins, be active in the process, etc.

The idea that 504s and IEPs ( under IDEA) are interchangable doesn't strike
us as accurate.

Being prepared AND reasonable is great advice.

Janet's take on having the 504 in the sub folder was about it being a
matter of confidentiality.

She is and education prof and I brought up the idea of having a parent
speak to one of her classes. We are in Central NY. IF you think we can help
any of you with advice please write us privately. She has been a witness
and consultant for more due process hearings than she would like.

The two students that I taught who had diabetes were served well by the
district IMO. Though I noted the horror story of the clueless nurse.

Bob Alexander