[IP] Re: Maureens celebration !!

In a message dated 5/3/00 12:24:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Now diabetes may be awful, but not having family and friends to me
 is unspeakably worse.  My dx annervery and Christmas are two times I think
 of this in particular.  Every year I am proud for functioning as a pancreas
 the best I could manage that year.  It is a time for hope for a "better"
 next year.  I was not intended to function as a pancreas, but I do manage. >>

Let me start by saying that I think it would be a million times worse to
have a child with diabetes than have it myself,

I must say, I totally agree with what you posted.  I have had daibetes for 20
years myself.  Dx when I was 6.  Thanks to my "WONDERFUL PARENTS", siblings,
friends, schoolmates and now my husband I have always had the support and
encouragement that every diabetic needs daily.  If not for my parents making
me keep such tight control for all of the years I was at home, who knows
where I would be now.  I certainly wouldn't be able to have the 2 beautiful
children that I have and be carrying the 3rd as we speak.  My first child was
born 9 weeks prematurely.  I certainly know first hand what support and
nurturing does.  Initially they said he would be in the NICU for at least the
remainder of those 9 weeks.  He came home in 15 days !  I never left his
side.  I pray to God every night that my children don't develop this disease
and so far I've been lucky.

God Bless all of the parents that do have the strength and concern to
properly tend to a diabetic child.  I for one, commend you !

Dee Dee