Re: [IP] thinness

> Whoever decides that THIN is better than
> HEALTHY is not a wise person at all
> (I'm not implying that that's what was
> meant by the post).
Having DELIBERATELY induced DKA on more than one
occasion as a means of loosing weight I can agree with
that.  I think back on my behavior, sure I'd loose 40
pounds in 2-3 months in exchange for getting little
sleep (from peeing all night) throwing up what food I
could get down, and ultimately having to take a week off
work for hospitalization when I finally collapsed, and

> I am a proud size 11, yes, it's a double
> digit, but I look good, I feel pretty good
> (other than thyroid problem) and it
> just doesn't matter to me anymore.  Who
> cares if I'm a size 8 or a size 11? Not me,
> not my friends, (also size 11-12's) not my
> hubby.......there are other things to
> focus on in life than whether you are thin
> or thinnest.

I've got the same mentality drilled into my subconcious
as most american women.  Thin == Attractive == Good.
Okay, I admit I have a fairly butch personality so the
obsession with looks seems unbecomming.  But well, I'm a
complicated individual so stuff it :p :)

I fit myself into anything from a size 8 to a size 14
depending on who makes it and how revealing or
casual/frumpy I want to look.  My favorite sweater is an
XXL that I can wrap myself up in, but I've been known to
wear a size 8 tank-dress (albeit a long one) with a size
10 jacket for office meetings on occasion.  Then proceed
to wear size 12 jeans slung across my hips when out and

Now, you may say "but a size 8 is FINE!"... To that I
can only say "It's fine until you look in the mirror and
all the social conditioning comes crashing back."

> I say this as a 5'4" woman weighing in
> at 140 lbs.   Not skinny, I have broad
> shoulders (was teased in high school
> for my 'football shoulders')
I'm 6'0"/170lbs... and while that weight is perfectly
acceptable given my height, the number itself looming
out there ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY POUNDS never ceases to
give me grief.  Especially given my very ample hips
(all bone), it's a shame I can't bear children because
I've probably got room for two or three at a time!

> and I look rather strong -  I pride myself
> on that, rather than being a skinny mini.
> It's all in your state of mind.
I notice the strong look is gaining popularity amongst
women.  I wouldn't say I look particularly muscular, but
one would be hard pressed to describe me as lithe or

> Besides, I like being asked by
> guys to open the pickle jars that
> they can't budge.  ;)
heh heh, how many times have I been in the ethnic
grocery store when some short jewish man will ask me to
help him reach something on the top shelf? :)  Plus
these long arms are good for getting leverage on those
pickle lids.

- -Sara G. (who was heartened only this morning by seeing
a woman in a midrif whos tummy is almost as big as hers)