[IP] IEPs and 504s

email @ redacted wrote:
> Teachers are given papers, and they are filed  - like Kap's
> please get an IEP -

> IEP are more specific than 504 - in my opinion.

IEPs are only for children who are certified as Special Ed. It varies a
bit from state to state, but in most, if not all, a child cannot be
certified Sp. Ed. unless they are signicantly behind in academics, as
demonstrated by standardized testing, not just grades.

504's are an attempt to remedy that problem for kids who really do have
a disability or health problem but are keeping up academically. In a
504, accommodations can be spelled out as specifically as you want --
the problem is in getting the school to cooperate with what you think is

The obverse side of the coin is that you need to think very seriously
and objectively about what is reasonable and what isn't -- schools
really DO want to help children, but some things aren't possible.

I remember one parent who wanted, not just an adult, but the TEACHER to
be with the child at all times, including sitting with the child and
observing EXACTLY what he ate at lunch and recording it all.

Well, gimme a break, but the teacher is human too, and needs some time
off -- did he want, for the teacher to take the child to the restroom
with her???? The teacher deserves a duty-free lunch period, and believe
it or not, DOES have work to do when not with the children.  (And it's
not like the other adults at the school didn't have their hands full
during lunch -- it's the busiest time for EVERYONE).

Plus I really don't think having a Secret Service body guard would be
good for the kid, either!

I really believe all problems can be solved with the child's best
interests in mind, but it bothers me that some parents can't or don't
want to see the situation from a different angle.

As I read the posts on the lists, it strikes me that many parents have
come up with really GOOD solutions to a lot of those common problems,
like writing bolus amounts on lunch items (or precalculating the
cafeteria menu), and advocating for reasonable treatment rights, such as
testing in the classroom -- I feel like it pays to heed their experience
and research what is reasonable before making any decisions.

The best thing about those solutions is that they usually involve LESS
hassle for the teacher and school, rather than more, and THAT's a

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted