Re: [IP] easter diagnosis

- --0-1102520059-957351388=:3328

I was dx very much the same way 20 years ago.  I had all the classic symptoms and it was dismissed as a simple virus when I had lost 40 lbs could not satisfy my thirst and went to the bathroom two times during the examination and my doc still missed it.  I ended up with a blood sugar of 1275 and in a coma for a few days before christmas( i was released on Christmas Eve).  Needless to say I never went back to that doc.

Susan Fisher <email @ redacted> wrote:
I was diagnosed with D just before easter when I was six. I was in the
hospital for 7 days.

Mine was triggered by a virus - and I slide downhill fast because I had two
doctor visits (first onset of virus, a week later when no improvement) - and
he NEVER performed a simple test that could have cost me my life: an
urinalysis. By the third appointment, I had wasted away to a skinny little
thing around 45-50 lbs, looked ethopian, slept > 20 hours a day, couldn't
stay awake even to eat or even in the waiting room of screaming children at
the docs. I had rapsy breath (i.e. couldn't really breathe either), veins
collapsed...

I reeked of acetone... blacked several times as I was rushed to the hospital
in severe DKA, semi-comatose, with blood sugar > 1500. I'm amazed to this
day that I survived it! I have fragmented memories of it as I came in and
out. I remember distinctly my mother's assertiveness about not filling out
forms, and the nurse saying "oops, wrong floor" ;) I remember a bit more
than that, but... who wants to remember it all!!!

I have a lot of medical problems and every once in a while I hypothesize
that perhaps the damage done during that horrid incident is why I have so
many other mild problems... immune system is weak, GI tract is messed up
(non-D related), carpal tunnel (severe), severe allergies, mild asthma, some
chemical sensitivies, chronic sinusitis (allergy related), always have
headaches... and catch EVERY bug that comes along twice as bad as whomever I
got it from ;)

Who knows, all I know is I am still here, still fighting, still praying, and
still avoiding working on my final projects (I am a grad student).

Okay enough procrastinating, back to work...
Susan

Do You Yahoo!?
- --0-1102520059-957351388=:3328

<P>I was dx very much the same way 20 years ago.&nbsp; I had all the classic symptoms and it was dismissed as a simple virus when I had lost 40 lbs could not satisfy my thirst and went to the bathroom two times during the examination and my doc still missed it.&nbsp; I ended up with a blood sugar of 1275 and in a coma for a few days before christmas( i was released on Christmas Eve).&nbsp; Needless to say I never went back to that doc.</P>
<P><B><I>Susan Fisher &lt;email @ redacted&gt;</B></I> wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I was diagnosed with D just before easter when I was six. I was in the<BR>hospital for 7 days.<BR><BR>Mine was triggered by a virus - and I slide downhill fast because I had two<BR>doctor visits (first onset of virus, a week later when no improvement) - and<BR>he NEVER performed a simple test that could have cost me my life: an<BR>urinalysis. By the third appointment, I had wasted away to a skinny little<BR>thing around 45-50 lbs, looked ethopian, slept &gt; 20 hours a day, couldn't<BR>stay awake even to eat or even in the waiting room of screaming children at<BR>the docs. I had rapsy breath (i.e. couldn't really breathe either), veins<BR>collapsed...<BR><BR>I reeked of acetone... blacked several times as I was rushed to the hospital<BR>in severe DKA, semi-comatose, with blood sugar &gt; 1500. I'm amazed to this<BR>day that I survived it! I have fragmented memories of it as I came in and<BR!
>out. I remember distinctly my mother's assertiveness about not filling out<BR>forms, and the nurse saying &quot;oops, wrong floor&quot; ;) I remember a bit more<BR>than that, but... who wants to remember it all!!!<BR><BR>I have a lot of medical problems and every once in a while I hypothesize<BR>that perhaps the damage done during that horrid incident is why I have so<BR>many other mild problems... immune system is weak, GI tract is messed up<BR>(non-D related), carpal tunnel (severe), severe allergies, mild asthma, some<BR>chemical sensitivies, chronic sinusitis (allergy related), always have<BR>headaches... and catch EVERY bug that comes along twice as bad as whomever I<BR>got it from ;)<BR><BR>Who knows, all I know is I am still here, still fighting, still praying, and<BR>still avoiding working on my final projects (I am a grad student).<BR><BR>Okay enough procrastinating, back to work...<BR>Susan<BR><BR>----------------------------------------------------------<BR>for HEL!
Send instant messages & get email alerts with <a href="http://im.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! Messenger</a>.
- --0-1102520059-957351388=:3328--