Re: [IP] Re: Diabetes and Christmas

In a message dated 5/2/00 4:15:41 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< She has noticed that a lot of new DXs
 show up in the November-December area and speculates that it's all the carb
 overload during the fall holidays -- Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
 My daughter Natalie was dx December 22, 1998 one day before her first
 birthday.  I really don't think a baby on formula that wasn't even walking
 yet and not eating solids  would get diabetes from carb overload. >>

No, it would not matter how many carbs your baby had ingested. She has type 1
diabetes, which is an autoimmune disease that destroys the beta cells.
However, about 9 out of every 10 people who have diabetes are type 2. In that
case, an overload of carbs would probably result in worsening symptoms.
Consequently, the worsening symptoms could prompt people to seek a doctor's
advice and that person would then be DX'd with diabetes. May have had it for
years, but Aunt Tillie's bourboned fruitcake pushed 'em over t'edge. :-)