[IP] Nursing Babies

As one who is currently nursing a baby, I must say that eating/drinking
while nursing can be done! It just takes some extra effort, and help
from Daddy doesn't hurt, either.

I nursed JayJay for 10 1/2 months, and Sadie is now 6 months old and
showing no signs of slowing down any time soon. I have always found it
very helpful to NOT sit in a regular chair or rocking chair. Somewhere
that I can fold my legs up is much better, like the sofa or on a bed.
That way I can lay a pillow in my lap and have larger "base" under the
baby to lay her on. This lets me hold the breast in one hand and not
really have to hold onto the baby with the other. There are also these
nifty semi-circle pillows out these days at stores that carry baby and
maternity items. AND, if she should happen to roll while I was on the
bed or side-ways on the sofa, she would fall a whole 6 or 7 inches onto
a soft surface, anyway.

When I'm on the sofa I have a coffe table right there for drinks, and
on the bed the nightstand is there. I find that I get VERY thirst during
and after nursing. When they went/go through growth spurts, I am extra
tired from the extra milk production.

Nursing has definately helped me to lose any pregnant weight, too. For
JayJay, I only gained 14 lbs, actually that was all baby and other products
of pregnany. *I* lost weight. But Sadie was a different story! Almost
25 extra pounds, now gone.

I have say, for any woman out there considering nursing her baby, it's
the best thing in thw world! It allows you some very precious moments
to bond with your new child. Daddy might feel left out, but you can always
express milk into a bottle for daddy to have a turn. There are studies
and papers about breast milk providing a valuable boost to the immune
systems of newborns, too. All in all, any troubles are worth finding
a way to overcome. I do not, in any way, regret all the months of my
life that I have spent dedicated to nourishing my children's bodies and

Mom to JayJay
born 2/13/98, dx'd 1/31/99
...sweet as ever

and Sadie