[IP] Re: Micro infusion sets

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Mark Capozzoli wrote:

> Hi Gang--
> I've only been pumping for 18 days and I have already had two Micro Soft
> Sets go bad.  Just put in a new one this morning.  I had a very active
> day at work, plenty of up and down working low to the ground.  Tonight I
> had a NO Delivery alarm at dinner. I was able to receive a successful
> bolus on the 2nd try.  After dinner I went out on fast 25 mile bike
> ride. 10 minutes from home I reeceived a 2nd NO Delivery alarm.  I'm
> either doing something wrong or just having bad luck with the micro soft
> set.
> Does anyone have an idea.  Is the cannula in the micro soft set known to
> get kinked from high activity?
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark Capozzoli.....Legs are GONE!

Hi Mark!!

Are you sure it's the infusion set?  Occasionally, I have had problems with
the syringe not wanting to advance.  Were you taught to turn the plunger as
you pull it out and push it in about 3 times before you fill your syringe?
This is to evenly distribute the lubricant.  I kept getting no delivery
alarms one time, and the site seemed to be fine.  I use the Quick Release
sets, so I unhooked it and tried to give a bolus and got an alarm.  I
thought there was a clog in the tubing, but couldn't see any problem.  So, I
unhooked the tubing from the reservoir and still got an alarm.  I called
MiniMed's 24hour help line and they said to twist the plunger as you push it
in and out at least 3 times, before you fill the syringe.  I haven't had a
problem since, so I guess that did the trick!!

Good luck!!!

D-T1  12/77, Pumping 3/97