Re: [IP] Depression and Diabetes

    I got chills reading your candid "true confessions". My first cousin was
dx'd his freshman year of college. Being brilliant (and arrogant and
egocentric), he never allowed anyone to "know" or to help him out - including
years later when he was a successful pulmonologist. He felt he knew himself
better than anyone else, and even did procedures on patients in a hospital
where none of his colleagues or staff knew about his diabetes. It made me
CRAZY when he'd tell me that. Now, in retrospect, I wonder if part of his
"false bravado" wasn't attributable to depression stemming from his "perfect
SAT score personna" having been tarnished by his diagnosis!
    9 years ago, his wife died in an accidental fall, leaving him with a 7 yr
old son and a 16 yr old son. I think he was already begining to have
complications, but rather than devote himself to better self-care, he took a
fatalistic attitude that he knew he would die early anyway, & traveled to
exotic locations with his sons, believing he was leaving them with great
memories. I don't even think he was checking his bgs regularly & was relying
on his sons to be "there" for any emergencies.
    Two years ago this month, already on dialysis, he passed away at home at
age 51, discovered by his then 14 yr old son ( who eerily had been the one to
find his mother too at the bottom of the stairs after she'd fallen!) The 2
boys went through a horrific first year, with the younger one bouncing around
from relative to relative & thankfully locating a wonderful boarding school
for teens with "issues" this school year - a setting in which he has
absolutely flourished. His older brother was married in December, and will be
moving to Chicago...so life does go on....
    But I don't even have to ask to know that those 2 sons would gladly
relinquish the memories of trips to Russia and Egypt to have had more years
with their father. And when Melissa was diagnosed 7 1/2 years ago, my cousin
DID say to her " don't do what I did- take care of yourself".....I'm happy
for your loved ones  Andrew that you received your "wake-up call" in time....

Regards, Renee ( Melissa's pump-mom and advocate)