[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #143

I am usually just a reader cause I after 49.5 years on insulin, the last 2
months on a pump I find that I can handle things that other people find
difficult and seem to me to be just a slight inconvenience so do not like to
upset anyone.  But after reading all the business about the pumps it seems
so ridiculous to me.  I have a Minimed which cost me $6,250.00 whereas if I
purchased a "D" I would have had to buy 2 at $4,750.00 each so I saved
myself a few thousand dollars and this was my main reason for purchasing the
Minimed.  As explained to me in a email from "D" they have a timing device
set in them which automatically shuts off after two years as this is the law
and pump must then be sent for an overhaul.  So another pump is needed for
the 12-13 weeks while pump is being overhauled.  It is then returned with
another 2 year guarantee the same applied to the second pump so the "D" has
a guaranteed life of 8 years for the 2 pumps.  The Mimimed has a guaranteed
life of 4 years only but if you do not have the cash for the two "D"
machines (which in the long run works out cheaper) the Minimed is the way to
go.  As we do not have the insurance in Australia you have in America
everything has to be paid for up front and it is easier and quicker to save
$6250 than $9,500.  I think both pumps are great but the cost factor counts
a lot.

Best wishes to all

Sue from Sydney