Re: [IP] sleeping hands

In a message dated 5/1/00 10:35:27 AM EST, email @ redacted writes:

<< Another thought about the hands - mine were doing that - and I found out
it was the nerves in my neck that go to the hands >>

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel several years ago, but was not given a
nerve conductivity test -- was just told by my endo that it was a diabetic
thang.  I read some books that came up with the same conclusion about carpal
tunnel being just more prevalent among diabetics.  So I've gotten along with
wearing a wrist splint at night to keep my hand from going numb.  I've also
more recently been bothered by pain in my neck and shoulders that I just
attributed to stress or whatever (maybe sitting at my computer reading all
the IP posts :)  Well the pain got so bad that I decided to see a
chiropractor last week.  He informed me from my x-rays that I have arthritis
in my neck -- that a bone spur between my 6th and 7th vertabrae are pressing
on the nerve that goes down into my hand.  Interesting to find out that it's
not necessarily diabetes related -- except as far as diabetes and arthritis
are both autoimmune diseases, aren't they?  Don't yet know what my next step
will be or what the options are -- besides the old "learn to live with it"
routine.  Just be sure you check everything out.  Don't just accept the "it's
the diabetes" answer.
Brenda  43 years D, 4 years pumping