Re: [IP] child dying

email @ redacted wrote:

> In a message dated 5/29/99 11:48:24 AM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted
> writes:
> << Wow. That is very scary. I guess I never knew that a healthy child could
> go
>  low and die from a heart attack in the middle of the night. Why dont you
> hear
>  more about that? Like warning us of the dangers of a night-time low? How low
>  does one have to go? Had these kids has previous dangerous lows before?  I
> am
>  truly afraid now. I figured if Kevin (wearing the pump) is ok at bedtime and
>  his basals are ok...then we are safe. Doc said to check once a week to see
>  that things are still ok....but should I do more???? >>

I was debating whether to make this comment but decided it was probably
important.  This is in no way meant to demean your fears.  They are
understandable and real.  HOWEVER
kids die all the time but not often-- falling into rivers, in car accidents,
etc.  While it is possible that a child may die from an untreated low, it is
fairly unlikely.  It is more likely if that child has a history of poor blood
sugar control.

When I got to college, there were 4 diabetics in my dorm.  It was amazing to
discover the profound effects family anxiety had had on all of us growing up.  In
fact, of the four, the only one who did not have complications by the age of 25
was one whose parents always seemed incredibly comfortable about diabetes andnot
worried all the time.  It is the most natural, understandable thing in the world
as a parent to worry.  But the anxiety leads to all kinds of crazy pre-adolescent
and teenage responses.  For example, at the time I was diagnosed, there was a lot
of concern about weight gain.  I got a little pudgy at 13 and my mother was
endlessly anxious.  Like quite a number of diabetic teenage girls I've met since,
I discovered that taking less insulin meant that I gained less weight, everyone
(doctor included) thought I was healthier and was happier and the grown up
anxiety lessened.  Of course, what no one really had in perspective was that the
number one issue was reasonable, comfortable livelable blood sugar control I
could actually accomplish and that would last me for the rest of my life.   I
always thought my family was somehow more neurotic (there were other issues too),
but it has been interesting to discover that many other diabetic 11, 12 years
reacted this one.  One woman I knew told me about changing her urine tests with
extra drops of water from the time she was about 8 so that her mother wouldn't
feel like she(the mother) had done something wrong.

Again, the worrying is normal and understandable and I don't mean to sound
unsympathetic.  It's just that it can be extremely harmful too so its really
important to find ways to relaxing and problem solving rather than creating
anxiety about things.  After all, all kids run into many many risks everyday.
Most parents learn how to be proactive about most of them.

Just someting to think about,