Re: [IP] child dying

In a message dated 5/29/99 11:48:24 AM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Wow. That is very scary. I guess I never knew that a healthy child could
 low and die from a heart attack in the middle of the night. Why dont you
 more about that? Like warning us of the dangers of a night-time low? How low
 does one have to go? Had these kids has previous dangerous lows before?  I
 truly afraid now. I figured if Kevin (wearing the pump) is ok at bedtime and
 his basals are ok...then we are safe. Doc said to check once a week to see
 that things are still ok....but should I do more???? >>

Putting Kevin on the pump was the best thing you could do.  He no longer has
that nasty insulin spiking in the middle of the night.   I don't have studies
to back this up, but just logical thinking points to NPH as the typical
culprit of severe lows in the middle of the night since an evening shot will
peak then. If the person goes to bed in low-normal and doesn't have the
protein in their system to meet the "peak", they will go hypo.

When I have asked why there aren't more warnings about the potential dangers
of hypos, the only response I get is that the chance of dying from a severe
low is much lower than the chance of getting complications from not letting
the sugars run high.  <groan> as if those are the only two situations.  When
I hear people say that they have had seizures (not just one but many) I
REALLY don't understand why the doctors don't tell the patients (or parents)
how to do something to eliminate them.  (note - I feel that the docs are the
problem here, not the patients)

I'm not the only one, but hypos frighten me terribly.  Not just the chance of
something happening in the middle of the night, or while I am driving, but
having one in the middle of giving a presentation at work, or any other time
when I can't just take 15 minutes to a half hour out of my busy schedule to
treat it correctly.

Maybe my attitude is different because I have already dealt with many
complications, but I feel that the immediate danger of a hypo is much more
severe than the potential of a complication that can be treated.  I try to
keep my a1c in the mid 7's and am amazed at how many docs have told me that
my GOOD control has stopped and in some cases reversed complications.  I
couldn't ask for more (for me) so why push the chance of hypos?

Just my opinion