Re: [IP] GUIDE-LINES NOW!! PUMPERS VS. INSURANCE

In a message dated 5/29/99 12:12:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<      I only want to check my blood sugar qid,and I am limited to
 100 test strips a month. We pumpers know that we can get bad infusion
 sites and other problems which require more frequent testing.
      WHY NO NATIONAL GUIDELINES SET UP FOR US PUMPERS ON SUPPLIES?? >>

Your doctor needs to write your prescription for supplies so that you are
allowed to get as many strips as you need for the month.  The pharmacy is
only following rules set by the insurance company.  I think it is more a
problem that the docs don't understand how insurance works for supplies and
meds.  My 'script is for 350 strips a month so I can test up to 12 times a
day.   I normally don't test this much so I end up with more than a month's
worth of supplies.

The reason why the insurance companies have to do this is that a few people
will go and get all sorts of strips for their co-insurance and then go sell
them to others to make money.  It is like anything else, a little abuse makes
it hard for everyone else.

I hope you can get this worked out.  I too have been in this situation and it
is quite frustrating.

Marilyn