Re: [IP] Plastic Vs. Glass Cartridges

> But if, for example, you are traveling, this means you have to carry extra
> gear.  The insulin bottle and syringes at the least.  Plus you must have a
> place to perform the operation.

I'm not sure why this is difficult.  It might be easier to sit down, but I've
done it balancing them in two hands at dirty campsites.  Insulin bottles are
pretty small to carry.  Plus, then you don't have to worry about tugging the
plunger in and out accidentally.  If you have some sort of case for filled
syringes that doesn't allow them to slide up and down.  I can see this being
great.  I haven't ever seen a case like this though.  I have filled syringes
and ended up squirting the insulin out by accident.

> Also, there are numerous references to Humalog losing its potency after air
> has been injected into the bottle.  I.E., after two reservoirs have been
> filled from the same bottle.

I don't know except I take pretty small doses.  This is not a potency problem
I've ever had although I have had trouble with both bottles and syringes left
in extremely hot cars or in the direct sun (obviously not a smart idea, but not
intentional).

> Can plastic reservoirs even be capped outside the pump?

Yes.

> What I'm trying to get at is: How long can you use plastic cartridges to
> transport insulin and not have the insulin degrade?  Can you fill three and
> carry them around?

The time is probably not much different than the plastic.  For both, the issues
would be things like temperature and accidentally pushing the plunger in or
out.  Both things you probably already have systems to combat.

> When I spent two weeks in Europe in March, I filled six cartridges from two
> Hlog bottles and transported four filled cartridges in my Dia-Pak and three
> weeks later the last seemed as good as the first.

I've never had any trouble with plastic for up to 2 1/2 weeks.  I've never
tried it beyond that.