Isabelle,

The disconnects are relatively new and I really like them since they make
things easier.  But for many years before that we didn't have them.  I never
learned to shower with the pump or do much else althought in a few places I
lived a bath, with the pump on the side of the tub sort of worked.  Instead
what I did  and many others did was to remove the syringe from the pump (keep
the back metal arm in place and just lift the front one) and let the syringe
hang or drape over your shoulder if it pulls.  I've taken hundreds of showers,
swims, clothers trying- on, etc this way and it works just fine. You do need to
reprime the pump when you insert it.