Re: [IP] Time to insert Sof-sets?

In a message dated 5/28/99 9:40:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< But that brings to mind a question: Why do they tell you to prime 5
 units after you've filled the tubing? (My CDE told me the same thing) I
 understand the .5 to fill the cannula, but I don't understand the 5 when
 the tubing is already full.
 Thanks! >>

I was told that the 5 units is to make sure that the lead screw is properly
set to the reservoir so that you can get an accurate amount of insulin the
1st time the pump "clicks" a dose of insulin.  This is to "take up the slack"
in the lead screw.   If you don't do the 5 units to make sure the lead screw
is set right, the lead screw can move several times before actually being
able to push the plunger of the reservoir to give you a dose.