Re: [IP] First camping trip post-pump-Help!

>Anyway, are there any common sense ideas out there from camping
>devotees? Things you encountered and would advise me to watch for?

Katherine, Natalie, and anyone else heading out :-)

A few months after I got my pump, we (husband, son, and me) started
building a cabin in the mountains.  I've spent dozens of weekends camping
and working very hard in the great outdoors.  The worst thing that has
happened to me is one time I got up there and only had about 4 test strips.
 I went back to "going by how I felt" like I used to do when I was in
diabetes denial.  :-(  But I made it through.  So... take plenty of test
strips -- you will likely be testing more often.

On the subject of testing:  meters don't like temperature extremes.  Mine
was sometimes "slow" to come on when the temp was cold.  Try to keep your
meter warm, but not baking in the direct sun either.

If you are going to a higher altitude than you are used to, you will
probably want to lower your basals across the board.  Your body will be
working harder just to breathe.  And if the nights are cold, you will be
extending a lot more energy to keep warm.  I was routinely waking up with
bg in the mid 50's until I figured out I needed to lower my basals.

I usually had it worked out so that I didn't have to do a set change while
camping, but I did it a few times.  I tried to get my hands as clean as
possible (take a bottle of liquid soap with a cap that stays shut -- not a
pump) and used an alcohol wipe for my site.  I didn't go swimming while we
were doing this (who had time!?!) so I wasn't concerned about lake
bacteria, etc.

We took a 5 gallon jug of water from home and could go for a few days with
this.  We did need to fill it from the neighbor's faucet (we werent' in the
middle of nowhere) a few times. Try to take a good water supply like this
if you can.  We weren't backpacking so it was OK.

Wear sunscreen, mosquito repellent, and avoid dehydration.  Have fun!  Oh,
and keep your pump in it's case so it doesn't get a scratched display like

Two years later, the cabin is 95% complete.  We have hot and cold running
water, the kitchen is stocked with scale and measuring cups so I can count
my carbs, and we are very glad that I had my pump while we were building
it.  I was able to pull my share of the workload by running lower basals
and being able to eat when it was convenient, not when my insulin said I
had to.

Mary Jean