Re: [IP] Carb Counting

"Whitaker, Paul" wrote:
> Being a newcomer to diabetes, (nearly 6 months), I am still finding my
> 'feet' on what I and cannot eat. Now I closely inspect everything for sugar
> content and even sometimes test food in restaurants with Diastix. Now for
> carbohydrates, I must admit that I not paying much attention to regulating
> carbohydrate intake, although I know I should.

Yes, since carbs turn into glucose in the bloodstream much like sugar
this is DEFINITELY necessary to learn.
> I want to learn about controlling carbohydrate consumption as indeed I must,
> but it seems such a lot to remember. Perhaps this becomes 'second nature' to
> some people, but it doesn't seem to be with me and I'm getting a bit
> despondent about it. Does any know of an "Idiots guide to carbohydrates",
> that I could buy?

I don't know of a book, but I've been a Type 1 for 43 years, and HAD to
learn for myself since there was so little printed back then. It's very
outmoded now, but I learned my diet based on "exchanges", which helped
normal items tremendously. For instnce, 1 "starch" (or carb) exchange
a slice of bread weighing 1 ounce, or 28 grams, and 70 calories. This
has 15 grams of carb, in more modern parlance. Any non-sweetened grain
based food, be it bread, roll, or such, will have about the same counts
PER OUNCE weight. Weight matters more than size, since density may vary.

Also note that a few vegetables are also carbs, particularly peas or
Many other vegetables are low carb, and should be favored in our meal
such as asparagas, broccoli and cauliflower. Other vegetables have even
carb, basically the green crunchy things like celery and lettuce.

It does take getting used to, but carbs are just as important to control
sugars. If it's based on grains be sparing in how much you eat. The
possble answer is to avoid carbs as much as possible, which I finally
doing last week. Only took me 43 years to change my diet...

You may find it helpful to read "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" by
Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, which is available at discount from the IP
webpage. Whether or not you use low carb meal planning his book is
full of information that could help you learn the basics, and he
explains it
all clearly in plain English. Gee, maybe I DO know of a good book for

Ted Quick