Re: [IP] T1 Diagnosis

"Whitaker, Paul" wrote:
> In January, at the age of 48 I was diagnosed as T2. My medication then was
> entirely oral, which soon demonstrated not to have any effect whatsoever,
> and since late January I have been using NPH and Humalog totaling around 50
> units daily.
> Last week, following lab. Tests showed that I was T1.
> My question is: Is a T1 diagnosis at 48 years old unusual, and does a
> diagnosis at 48 make for other related complications later because of my
> age?

Prior rumors to the contrary, Type 1 diabets can and does happen at any
I've heard of a newly diagnosed 73 year old Type 1....

It's not as common as it is for people under 20, but is not THAT unusual
at your age. Generally speaking your diagnosis at this age means that
likely won't develop as many complications in your lifetime, given that
you keep it under control.

At least your complications risk is lower han mine is likely to be,
I'm also 48 and have been a Type 1 for 43 years. Besides which they know
a LOT more about how to treat diabetes successfully now than they did
in 1956......... <grin>

Ted Quick