[IP] T1 Diagnosis

In January, at the age of 48 I was diagnosed as T2. My medication then was
entirely oral, which soon demonstrated not to have any effect whatsoever,
and since late January I have been using NPH and Humalog totaling around 50
units daily.
Last week, following lab. Tests showed that I was T1.

My question is: Is a T1 diagnosis at 48 years old unusual, and does a
diagnosis at 48 make for other related complications later because of my

Anyone else with similar experiences?