Subject: Re: Re: [IP] NY Bagels and carb counting

It's a hassle at first, but buy 2 bagels (or pretzels or whatever), bring
one home and weigh it, then figure 15 carbs per ounce (or 30 grams).  Works
for other things too.  Jenna wanted a McFlurry the other night from
McDonalds- had no idea how many carbs.  Brought it home, it was 379 grams of
ice cream and oreos mixed together.  Figured 26 grams carbs per 79 grams of
ice cream (that's the count on the box of non-sugar free Breyer's in my
freezer) multiplied it out to 107 grams of carbs (yikes).  The next day,
found the McDonald's web site, and they list it at 90 grams of carbs.
Pretty close.  Unfortunately, it also has 20 grams of fat in it, which
played havoc with Jenna's sugars all night.  But the carb estimate based on
weight wasn't bad.  I have my own little list of stuff like that that I keep
on the back page of our carb counting book that we carry.

Nancy Morgan