From: Julia Bannister <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 1999 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] 11 Years of Pumping or How the times have changed.

Marilyn,

I read this post with my mouth hanging open.  Could you share with me what
manual you found these quotes and how you responded to them.

I have 'heard' a few of these similar comments but am at a loss as to know
how to respond.

Regards,
JB
feel free to e-mail me at email @ redacted

----------
| Penny asked if I was glad I got the pump.  YOU BETCHA.  It was/is the best
| thing that has happened to me since diagnosis.  You hear so many people
say
| it, but it gave me back my life.  Actually, it was not so much the pump,
but
| the developments that have happened along with and to the pump.
|
| I know there are pumpers who have been doing it longer than I, but I just
| thought you all might like to see how far things have come since 2/12/88
when
| I was put on the pump.  Below are actual quotes from my pump manual, given
| me by the hospital that hooked me up...
|
| Even though it would be convenient to fill the syringe to capacity and get
2
| or more days of insulin, this practice is not recommended.  If there was
| misprogramming, or if the pump malfunctioned, you could possibly get a
large
| insulin overdose.
|
| You do not need a special "pump diet" You will still use the exchange
lists
| and have a meal plan.
|
| You should have your meals and snacks at approximately the same time each
| day.  When you are on an insulin pump you will probably have excellant
blood
| sugar control, and if a meal is delayed you will be likely to have an
insulin

| reaction.  Be sure to get your meals and snacks on time.  Each meal should
| contained the prescribed amounts of calories and carbohydrate.  As with
any
| insulin regime, strict adherence to your diet and meal plan is an absolute
| necessity if you are to achieve good control.
|
| Change the battery every day.  Place the battery removed from the pump in
the
| charger.  When the battery is changed, reset the time (Autosyringe 6MP)
and
| check the accuracy of your program.  If you are using a CPI Betatron II
pump,
| program the alternate basal delay at the same time every day.
|
| And now the best part... not the pump, but from the back of my "ultra
modern"
| glucose meter to help me in the frequent testing (4 times a day!)...
|
| Perform finger puncture.  Depress TIME button as soon as blood is applied
| test pads.  At 60 seconds, wipe test pad with cotton ball.  Insert test
strip
| into test strip chamber.  Glucose value displayed after 120 seconds.  (All
| this at the bargain price of $200)
|
| Let's see... we went form animal to human to Humalog.  First there were
only
| needles, then bent needles then SofSets then Sils were introduced.  The
Quick