Re: [IP] Pump Reps

Hi Nancy,

I resisted pump therapy for years too, even though I knew a number of
people on pumps. I just coudn't see the advantage as long as my A1cs were
good. I'm so glad my high-risk obstetrician wanted me to go on the pump. I
love it! I can't imagine being without it now. :-)

My doctor, who has had Type 1 for more than 40 years, is on a MM. However,
I chose a Disetronic and he fully supported my choice. My main reason for
choosing a D. was that I could bolus without looking at the pump. I have
lost some vision due to retinopathy, and I didn't want to be hunting for my
glasses everytime I needed to bolus or do something else to the pump. MM
does now have audible beeps so you can bolus without looking, but you can't
(as far as I know) feel the buttons through clothing.

I think Michael's right about both pumps being excellent pieces of
equipment. I just haven't heard any stories of real differences in
reliability, durability, etc. There are some differences in certain
functions. Those differences are probably what most people base their
decisions on, so I'll try and list the ones that made a difference for me.
Some MMers need to jump in, because I have a Disetronic and haven't used a
Minimed. I think the issue of pump choice is very, very personal (hence the
tender feelings). My choice of a D. probably says more about my little
quirks (I like whirring instead of clicking) than anything about the
quality of either pump.

With regard to reps, I only dealt with my D. sales rep while getting the
pump. He was very helpful, but since then, I just deal directly with
technical support or customer service and have  had excellent service.

The features I like about the D. are:

- it's waterproof. I really like not having to disconnect when I go
swimming. If you never swim, this feature won't matter (sweat like blazes
during exercise :-)). However, for the few times a year I do swim, it's
well worth it.

- I can feel the D.'s raised buttons to bolus through 3 layers of clothing,
so when the pump is tucked into the side of my bra (or somewhere else), I
don't have to do a striptease to bolus. I know the MM has audible beeps now
for bolusing, but I'm not sure (MMers jump in here) if you can feel the
buttons through layers of clothing. If not, you'll have to pull it out to
bolus. If you can, forget this difference. :-)

- The D. gives insulin every 3 minutes, no matter how small your basal rate
is. The MM gives .1 unit each time, and the rate depends upon the amount of
your basal rate that hour. If your basal is .2, you get insulin every half
hour. If your basal is .6, you get it every 10 minutes. (Michael has
mentioned something about how, with the rate of insulin absorbtion, this
difference doesn't matter. Michael?)

- The D. whirrs, the MM clicks. No difference to some people, big
difference to others. :-)

Some features on the MM that make a difference:

- the square wave bolus feature is wonderful. I don't know exactly how it
works, but it spreads out a bolus for foods that nuke your BGs over longer
periods of time, like pizza. Also, if you have gastroparesis, which can
slow down your digestion, this feature is definitely a huge reason to go
for a MM.

- MM has a menu-type display, so it's easier to use for some people. With
D., you need to memorize functions (or check your instruction manual). I
have a good memory, so I like this part of the D. I also need glasses to
read a display on the D. or the MM, so I'd rather memorize the darn stuff
and not have to hunt for my glasses every time.

I'm sure people with the MM will have more of the subtle differences
between the 2 machines (and D. folks may have some to add too). This is
just my take on it.

The good news it that you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.:-)
Good luck!

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)