Re: [IP] relationships and pumping

In a message dated 5/24/99 10:44:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My boyfriend and I have recently begun discussing marriage >>

Julie,  Get a grip, girl!  YOU are not being overly sensitive, your boyfriend
is!  If he is "only" squeamish about needles and blood in regards to the Big
D, how can he be your support person?  He could count carbs for you.....
find inventive ways to recycle used tubing....   plan the menus....

It's vitally important that your future husband understand everything about
your treatment and how to care for you when you're incapacitated (hypos,
post-surgery, pregnancy & childbirth, etc).  My husband was pretty aloof when
it came to my diabetes until he had to deal with me blacking out in the
middle of the night.  Took over an hour before I came to, after 2 pitchers of
juice.  Scared the hell out of him, and now he cautions me when he thinks
I've "worked long enough" gardening or whatever.  And he's an OLD guy!
(We've been married 30 years.) Your fella is probably young and can easily be
taught new tricks!  Ease him into your diabetic regimen....have him learn how
to check his bg so he can deal with tiny drops of blood and tiny needles at
the same time.  Have him read the posts here so he'll understand how
important SUPPORT is for all of us with challenged pancreases.

Good luck!  Karen