Re: [IP] Hi ! & What to do next

Paul Whitaker wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I took the plunge and told my PCP that I wanted to go on a pump last
> week. He fully agrees, but wants my Endo. to have the final say - I'm
> seeing her in a couple of weeks.
>
> I don't anticipate there to be any problems as I am taking 5 to 6 shots
> of Humalog daily AND a pump would make my life easier.
>
> I have followed all the postings here with much interest for  week now,
> but one subject I haven't seen discussed much is how much involvement
> the pump recipient has in selection of a pump etc..
>
> Assuming my Endo. agrees to a pump, what do I need to do? I have all the
> paperwork from MiniMed and this seems straightforward, but I cannot help
> thinking that nothing in life is simple!
>
> Can anyone give me some further insight as what I should expect and if
> it takes months and months of paperwork before I get a pump.
>
> Paul

My son (age 13, dxed in 8/91), recently decided to ask his endo about a
pump.  They provided us with all the paperwork for Minimed (this is the
pump that they have the most experience with).  I faxed the information
to the pump rep (we are in CT, she is in Wilbraham, MA). The next day,
she called me and said that she had called our insurance co. and
received verbal approval for pump and supplies (covered at 100%!).  She
also contacted our endo for a letter of medical necessity and
prescription which were required for the ins. co., which is Anthem Blue
Cross, Bluecare Plus.  Our pump and supplies were ordered through
American Homepatient, and arrived at our doorstep today!  Now we have to
set up a time to start pumping, hopefully just as soon as school gets
out.

The entire process so far has been VERY easy.  The pump rep (Kethley
Goodrich) has called me several times through the procedure and is very
knowledgable and was able to answer all of my questions.  I just hope
that the pumping process is as easy!

Sharon Tarca (and Steven)