[IP] Site infections...and more

Robin (mother of Kevin)
Been there done all of that and much more!  I think the very worst day we
had was when I pushing insulin out of the tubing (because of a bubble) and I
didn't realized Kim (11) had connected the tubing to the site!!!  She got at
least 20u of insulin (but I didn't really have any idea how much)...I made a
pitcher of Orange Juice (2 quarts), had her start testing her bgs and
drinking juice.   All I could think about was what I would say to the
paramedics when she passed out!!  Luckily, she never got below 180, we
laughed and everything was fine.  There have been many times in the past few
months when I could have gladly taken a hammer to the bright blue minimed
pump!  But then, I remember how MDI was and we've tried again.  The pump has
added so much freedom to Kim and to all of us but it hasn't been without
struggles and a frustrating learning curve. Just remember, even with the
pump, it's still unpredictable diabetes. For sites, Kim uses a drop of hand
sanitizer on a cotton ball to disinfect the site...no infections since she
started using it.  We cut a hole in IV3000 tape to cover the silhouette and
she can still disconnect, but the cannula isn't as likely to come out
(connect the tubing after applying the tape).  We mix R and H together (1:5
ratio) to get her sites to last 4-5 days instead of 2...hope any of this is
helpful.  I don't think there is anything you could possibly do that someone
on this list hasn't already done...we can definitely understand your
frustration.  Hang in there, it does get better!!!  I think the docs make us
all practice MDI first so we can really appreciate the pump! :-)   Take
care!  Linda