Re: [IP] Hypoglycemic episode in drs office

At 09:02 AM 5/24/1999  Donna wrote:
 >I have had low feelings and ignored them because my bg wasn't below
60.  That's
 >a scary thought! I had no idea a person could be low and have an actual
 >reaction.  When that low and feeling strange I'll be checking more often and
 >heading for food.

I consider myself low if I'm below 75-80 and I would never get behind the
wheel and drive if I was below 100-110. The problem is that although you
may not be having an actual reaction at 60, it takes very little at that
point to push you over the edge. With as many variables and unknowns as
there are (even with a pump) you cannot precisely determine the level that
things will stay at. Since non-diabetics probably stay in the 90-125 range,
why push the envelope.

This is a very personal thing... I know that when I'm below 75 or so, I
feel very "anxious"... not psychologically, but physically. But each person
is different. Although you may get great A1c numbers by keeping yourself
that low, it's like walking a tightrope. A little scary if you lose your
balance. I would think that the dangers of going low would outweigh the
benefits. But, that's just my opinion.