Re: [IP] good things and bad things about pump

I don't know if this will help, but.... I started on a pump at age fifteen, 17
1/2 years ago.  So, I usually find that my perspective is a little different than
lots of people here.  First of all, most of the people I have met who did poorly
pumping or quit seem to have begun with the idea that this is just temporary.  My
experience is that you need to get that pumping is like brushing your teeth in
the AM.  You brush your teeth every AM.  You basically pump 24 hours of every
day.  That means lots of good things, but it never goes away and you have to be
willing to think, calculate and problem solve.  As long as you can live with
that, you should be pretty content.  The pump is a tool and when you are stupid,
careless or don't think, it will have trouble.  Your body is not a machine.  It
doesn't always do what you like or expect. You just have to be prepared to
respond rather than get upset or depressed.  Solutions are not all that hard as
long as you are comfortable responding.

My experience is that the older people are when they begin, the easier site and
insulin issues seem to be.  This, of course, is a generalization, but the number
of needle sites I had at 15 is about 1/2 what I have at 32.  Guys generally seem
to have an easier time with this than women.

For a 20 year old, cost and insurance may be a big issue.  It will depend on what
kind of work your son does or will choose to do and he will need to make career
choices that guaratee good insurance OR you or he will need to spend lots of $$.
Of course, all diabetics really need good insurance, but it is easier to squeak
by on 4-5 test strips a day, cheap syringes and a bottle or two of insulin a
month economically with shots than it is with a pump.  Again, not a problem if
you are already prepared for it, if you make a lot of money or if you are willing
to choose a full-time job working for a large company.

The thing I've always liked about the pump is that it allows me to be independant
- -- of other people, of time, of schedules, etc.  But in order to succeed you must
be willing to be independant and think and problem solve on your own on the
spot.  Again, its not really all that hard.  You just have to get used to it.
Maybe I just think this is an issue since I just finished a conference with a 20
year old male community college student who doesn't seem to believe that thinking
is a skill that students or workers need unless they want to be a doctor or
lawyer.  I don't know.

At any rate, most people end up pretty happy.  You just have to be adaptable.
Things continue to improve and we've learned a lot more about fine tuning in the
last few years.

Good luck,