Re: [IP] Marilyn Vos Savant Article, Parade Magazine, May 23

In a message dated 5/23/99 6:14:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 Answer:  Modern Medicine has made great strides in the treatment of
 chronic--and deadly--diseases like diabetes mellitus, hemophilia and
 phenylketonuria, which are genetic in origin. All are much more common today
 than they were only 50 years ago.  This is because these people now live
 long enought to produce children with the same disease, whereas in the past
 they might have died first or have been too ill to have the opportunity.
     This is an example of natural selection becoming less effective in our
 modern world, although these people are not less fit in a Darwinian sense.
 As long as the environment includes the medical care that they need, they
 are nearly as fit as the rest of us.  (you can send e-mail to
 email @ redacted )
Wow I don't know where to begin with this.  First not all of us are genetic
in origin.  I also didn't produce any children with the disease and probably
wont.  I don't know if I agree with the 50 years either.  When did they start
diagnosing type 2 I mean I would think that it has been around longer just
not "discovered"?  Also don't we have quite a few type 1s here who have had
diabetes for 30 yrs or more?  As for natural selection, thank God it isn't
working with Diabetes.  There is no reason for us to be naturally selective.