[IP] lower blood sugars/pump

Hi guys. You probably thought I feel asleep or something huh? NO, school is
about to end and all the activities begin! They jam so much into the last 2

I had 3 questions.  Seems like Kevins needs have recently changed in the am.
We have been doing a 12:1 ratio at meals. The breakfast one we have had to
correct on a daily basis until last week. He kept falling into range OR going
low by 10 am. (he eats at 7) Friday we went on a fieldtrip to historic
Jamestown (Va) and I guess with the heat or my miscalculating the soda he
drank, he dropped to 50. We did some casual walking, but it was blistering
hot out too. I wrote it off to heat and my mistake. Question #1, do you count
soda carbs like others? Seems to go thru him quicker and cause a low if I do
the ratio to follow the carbs.   Question #2, I hear where new pumpers needs
change for MORE insulin as the weeks go by, but can it be that Kevin needs
less? I was going to up his am ratio to 14:1 so he would stop the lows at

Question #3. (this one has been haunting me for days)  kevin is trying out
for what is called CHALLENGE SOCCER tomorrow and Tues. Knowing he goes low at
any exercise...I was planning on doing this. Please let me know if it sounds

Tryouts go from 5-7pm

1.  Eat at 4 pm, including extra protein like Milk.  Bolus like usual.
2.  Disconnect from pump once practice begins and check blood sugar.
3.  Drink 15 carbs of gatorade every 20-30 minutes.
4.  Check him around 6 pm (hoping the coaches wont disqualify him)

The coaches are very particular about parents NOT being involved during the 2
hours...and kids should not come off the field. I feel we will talk to them
ahead of time and let them know the situation....hope for the best.

Thanks for your help.

Otherwise, pumping has been WONDERFUL!!!! What freedom.

Mom of Kevin, 11 and pumping for 3 weeks