Re: [IP] Union Insurance Hoop Jumping

In a message dated 5/22/99 8:35:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Kelly,
 If you live in NYS, shouldn't the NYS Diabetes law apply to you?  That is
 certain diabetic supplies must be covered?
 Stacy >>

		That would be wonderful, however even though NYS has this
law, it does NOT apply to "self-insured" plans such as ours.  It only applies
to regular insurance companies, HMO's, etc.  I did LOTS of research on this
and found this to be a BIG problem for people who are in a plan such as ours.
 It's very discouraging to know that you live in a state where you should be
protected, but your plan does not have to participate in the mandate!  I did
however send them a copy of this law which I got from our CDE, and told them
that laws like this actually SAVE them money in the long run by providing
diabetics with the proper tools and services to keep themselves as healthy as
possible and hopefully costing less in hospital stays, complications, etc.
When I contacted the Dept. of Labor, the FIRST thing the representative told
me was that benefits plans through union negotiations are NOT obliged to
abide by the Sweeney Law and when I told her I knew that already, she asked
me why I was even trying to fight them on this!  Basically these plans are
self governed because they are paid for solely by the employers and union
members and any provisions of the plan are hammered out in union
negotiations.  It is definitely a BIG flaw in the system!