Re: [IP] Thanks, Doing Better

In a message dated 5/21/99 6:56:48 PM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Except that such a provision may be illegal. That's why you need to check
 with your state insurance commission. As I said before, can you imagine
 them asking for your eyeglasses, a pacemaker or a wheelchair back? If its
 durable medical equipment that is designed for long-term medical purposes,
 it then becomes as much a part of you as your right arm. (If they paid for
 a hip replacement, could they re-take the stainless steel pins and sockets?
 How about your dentures?) This is totally unreasonable.
 I'm getting off my soapbox now...
 Sam >>

Well, at least the soles of your shoes are now clean <g>

I agree with you 100% about it being totally unreasonable.  But we all know
that the insurance companies don't thrive on what is reasonable.  It is what
is profitable.  This company probably puts the pump in the same category as
crutches. <cringe>  It is different from the things you mentioned because
(now think like an insurance company..) you can always go back to shots
whereas there is no other option (cheaper) for a pacemaker.

As far as legality, I will have a paralegal research it on Monday so we can
see which states may or may not allow leasing of durable medical supplies.

Miranda said it was a student policy through the University of Michigan.
Based on that information, it was probably not a traditional major medical
policy.  Student health policies often times have weird provisions and cover
little and rely upon resources at the university.  This is to keep the cost
affordable.  Sad but true.