Re: [IP] Mixing Insulins..Mother In Need Again!!

In a message dated 5/20/99 2:38:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I put fresh insulin in her pump
 yesterday, which did seem to help as her fasting sugars for 12 hours
 after doing that were nothing short of fantastic, but the bottom fell
 out (or up in this case) this afternoon when the sugars were in the low
 400's. >>

Just a couple questions...  I know I could look this up but am doing this
email offline so don't have access to the Website.  How old is Erica?  Is she
at a stage in her life when her hormones are on a rampage?  Anyone who has
gone through puberty while diabetic will tell you what a mess their blood
sugars were at that time. (I think I am remembering that she is much younger
than this though, sorry).

What was her insulin treatment plan before she went on the pump?  If she was
taking H before each meal, did she have problems with H not having a long
enough tail to cover her lunch?

What about her diet?  Is it possible that the lunch carbs were miscalculated?
 Portion sizes are impossible to tell and cafeteria food is impossible to
guess about, you have no idea what the ingredients are.   And lastly, is it
possible that she ate something and didn't bolus for it?

When my bgs are high, the number 1 cause is miscalculated carbs or high
protein or fat meals.   Proteins and fats are tricky as they don;t raise the
bgs until later.  In the case of fats, much later.

Just some thoughts